I used to make tons of jam from the berries in my garden. I had a recipe that used only half the sugar of a normal recipe. But that’s still a lot of sugar. So I stopped doing that. And was looking for a way to make jam without a lot of sugar. And without cooking the fruit to death!
Now I make small batches with any kind of fruit available and use chia seeds to thicken it into a delicious jam. And this jam actually helps to keep your gut functioning well.
Berries are just great. They are loaded with anti-oxidants, have a good amount of plant nutrients, minerals and fiber and they help fight inflammation. Plus: the beneficial bacteria in your gut thrive on them.
More fiber, less sugar
Chia seeds also pack a nutritional punch. Almost all their carbs are fiber, they have a decent amount of protein ánd are high in Omega 3 fatty acids. I have not tried this yet but I think you could use the cheaper linseeds as well. They are just as amazing. I do think you need to use them freshly ground, so not whole.
I really love making this make jam without a lot of sugar!
Are you looking for more recipes? I post a weekly recipe on my blog.
- 2 cups of berries, any kind. They can be fresh or frozen
- 2 tbps of chia seeds
- 1-2 tbsp of unrefined sweetener (maple syrup or raw honey work well)
- 1 tbsp of freshly squeezed lemon (optional, depending on the tartness of the fruit)
How to do it:
- Heat fruit in a small saucepan over medium heat, stirring until the fruit is heated through and begins to break down and bubble.
- Use a spoon, potato masher or handheld blender to mash the fruit to your desired consistency.
- Stir in the chia seeds and lemon juice.
- Now add your sweetener to taste – but in moderation. Start with 1 tablespoon.
- Remove from heat and let cool for a bit. The jam will get thicker!
- Give the jam another good stir. Then serve or transfer to a jar
- It keeps for up to 1 week in the fridge or , up to 3 months in the freezer.
How are you doing?
Do you have acid reflux, bloating, diarrhea, constipation, joint pain, weight gain? And do you need guidance, inspiration and support to change your diet and lifestyle? Check out my online Anti-Inflammatory Diet and Lifestyle course!
Step by step, in 6 weeks, I guide you towards a whole food, anti-inflammatory diet – something you can make into your new normal. If you register now you receive your first module today and start making those changes. I’m happy to talk if you’re not sure if this course is the right fit for you. Book yourself here for a quick chat!