Going gluten free meant we had to re-think our snacks. My husband Hugo works as a handyman and gets hungry very easily. If he doesn’t take a good snack with him he will grab something that doesn’t work for him and suffer later.
These bars are free from gluten, dairy and refined sugar and are easy to make. We love them and usually make a double batch because they tend to disappear quickly.
We make them with bananas, but they also work well with steamed or roasted squash or sweet potato.
Here’s the recipe:
- 2 cups of (gluten free) oats
- 2 tbsp ground linseed
- 1½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp ginger powder
- ¼ tsp grated nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground fennel
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 mashed ripe bananas (or 1 cup of steamed or roasted and then pureed pumpkin or squash)
- ½ cup almond butter
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 8 pitted medjoul dates
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 10 drops liquid stevia or 2 tbsp coconut sugar or date syrup, optional
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ cup walnuts (optional but very nice)
How to do it:
- Cover the dates with hot water and let them soak for 10 minutes
- Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl (oats, linseed, spices, salt, raisins, nuts)
- Blend the wet ingredients with a fork or use a stick blender: (dates, water, bananas, almond butter, vanilla extract, coconut oil)
- Line a 20-20 cm square tray with baking paper and spread evenly
- Bake for 20 – 30 minutes on 180 degrees C
- Cut and cool on a cooling rack
Enjoy as a nutritious snack!