During the cold and dark winter months I have been enjoying a warming and nourishing drink: my healthy hot chocolate! And I’m happy to share my recipe.
The inspiration came around at a time where I decided to stop drinking caffeinated coffee because I wasn’t sleeping well. At the same time I was looking for a mid morning snack with a good amount of protein to keep me going without an energy dip. The idea was it would prevent a snack attack later in the day.
So this is what I came up with. I make my healthy hot chocolate with my homemade cashew nut milk, raw cacao, collagen powder, maca powder, a pinch of sea salt and a bit of maple syrup.
In case you didn’t know yet, raw cacao powder is so much nicer that the regular stuff. It has a delicate chocolate taste. It is much less processed than cocoa powder or chocolate bars. Cacao is thought to be the highest source of antioxidants and of magnesium of all foods.
Collagen powder has many health benefits. It improves the health of your skin and hair, reduces joint pain and degeneration. And since it heals and seals the protective lining of your gut as well it helps to heal leaky gut.
One of the benefits of maca root is that it increases fertility in both men and women. It’s a hormone balancer,and a booster for the immune system.
Maca is considered an adaptogen, which means that it helps the body naturally adapt to stressors like a busy schedule, demanding job, or illness, for example.
I notice that when I consume maca it gives me energy, like coffee would do, but without the crash afterwards. It makes me feel more grounded and alive. It helps me with restoring my hormone balance and it elevates endorphins, the feel good hormone. On top of that maca is its relatively high in protein, fiber, calcium and magnesium!
Healthy hot chocolate Recipe:
- Half a mug of nut milk or coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon raw cacao powder
- 2 tablespoons of collagen powder
- 1 teaspoon of maca powder
- a pinch of sea salt
- 1 tablespoon of maple syrup (or use a few drops of liquid stevia)
- Pour the nut milk in your mug and then add water to top up.
- Pour this milk and water in a saucepan and add the powders and the salt.
- Heat it up, using a whisk to stir.
- Add the maple syrup and pour into your favourite mug when hot.
- Retreat into a quit place where no-one can find you and enjoy!