Nettles are the most useful of plants. The young tops are delicious and nutritious, a natural mineral and vitamin supplement. Just what we need in spring!
Nettle tops are best in spring, but if you cut them back repeatedly they will have fresh shoots throughout the summer.
Use gloves to pick them or use a pair of scissors to cut them and then lift them into a bag or basket.
1 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion or half a big one
¼ cup of oats, can be gluten free
½ litre of vegetable stock (½ a litre boiling water and 2 tsp stock powder)
75 gr nettle tops
freshly ground pepper
freshly ground nutmeg
good quality salt to taste
- Chop the onion and leek finely
- Heat the oil or butter over medium heat
- Add the onion and leek and stir until they start to glaze
- Add the vegetable stock and cook for another 7 – 10 minutes
- Add the nettles and the oats and simmer gently for 5 more minutes
- Use a hand held blender to wizzzz it all up
- Season to taste with salt, pepper and nutmeg
- Serve and enjoy!
- Add a chopped up carrot
- Use diced potatoes or leftover rice instead of oats. They all work as a thickener
- Add some cream, butter or natural yoghurt
- Garnish with chopped chives